Nutrition is key to our proper brain and body functioning. When it comes to children on the Autism Spectrum, the right vitamin intake can be crucial for determining proper brain functioning, thus affecting directly behavior and learning skills.
Some parents recall that after giving their children the right supplementation, they observed tremendous positive changes ranging all the way to improved behaviors to decreased autism symptomatology.
Recommended Supplements for ASD
The following supplements are the most commonly used for Autistic conditions, however, we recommend medical advice over the specific quantities recommended for your child.
- Calcium: If your child is under a dairy-free diet, calcium intake in the form of supplement is a must.
- GSH: GSH is a tripeptide composed of three amino acids: cysteine, glycine, and glutamic acid. As a dietary supplement, it is used as an antioxidant to protect the body from toxins and toxic metals. ***
- DMG/TMG: Their intake supports the production of hormones, antibodies, neurotransmitters, amino acids, and other essential substances in the body. In ASD children, it helps improving speech/communicational abilities.
- Enzymes: Digestive enzymes are necessary to enhance digestive processes and increase the number of good bacteria in the GI tract.
- Probiotics: Aside from enzymes, probiotics are a great way to improve the immune system and GI functioning.
- Magnesium and Melatonin: Most ASD children battle with staying asleep, so magnesium and melatonin are an incredible way to help them improve their sleep quality and quantity.
- Glutathione: Helps detoxification and reduces oxidative stress.
- Carnitine: Increases energy and decreases autistic symptomatology.
- NADH (B3) and Ribose: Improve sleep, relaxation, and ease oxidative stress.
Vitamins and Minerals
- Vitamin A: Enhances the immune system functioning, suppresses viruses, and improves thyroidal conditions.
- Vitamin B6: Helps with detoxification, and enhances cerebral functioning neurotransmitters.
- Vitamin C: Boosts the immune system, and helps in the detox process.
- Vitamin D3 and Vitamin E: Improves calcium absorption, anti-inflammatory (great for gut issues), and boosts the immune system.
- Zinc: Increases appetite and aids the immune system.
Tips for Successful Supplementation
- Visit your Family Doctor: Before implementing any supplement or vitamin, we highly encourage you to visit your family Doctor. He/She will know the right dosage and specific requirements for your child.
- Follow a Keto Diet: Rember, autistic conditions are greatly affected by their nutritional intake. Make sure to base your child’s nutrition on a keto diet to ease autistic behaviors and improve gut conditions. Visit our blog post and find out all about it.
- Add One Supplement At A Time: Allow your child’s body to process each supplement and vitamin before adding the next one. Most Doctors recommend waiting 3 weeks between each one.
- Document: It is crucial to take notes on every change that you notice on your child. Document changes in behavior, rashes, sleep patterns, mood swings, etc. This will help you notice if your child is not responding well to a certain supplement.
The goal of this article is to provide you with an overview of the most utilized supplements for children with autism so that you can further work with your child’s doctor to determine the best treatment approach. When it comes to supplementation and nutrition, persistence is key to notice results. Remember, with patience and effort you will see your child achieving great results!
At WSCC, we offer support for autistic families and their children with Stem Cell Therapy treatments that can transform autistic conditions by healing the gut, decreasing inflammation and improving brain function. We also created an on Facebook that is destined to offer support and companionship for ASD parents and their families on their journey.
Remember, you are not alone!